Tuesday 18 May 2010

Sylvia


The past few days I have been working on Sylvia Plath's poetic work. I watched two documentaries of her life, two interviews of her and her husband and a film with my favourite actress Gwyneth Paltrow (who paradoxically looks like her). Sylvia Plath was an American poet who lived in the States and England. She came to Cambridge after her studies in America, where she met Edward James (Ted) Huges, a British poet.

Sylvia loved Ted to bits, and that was when she begun to write her poetry. The bastard was cheating on her, and she never paid any attention to her writing. After the presentation/publication of her first poetry, she only got one fairly good critique, when Ted got a first prize when he first published his.

Sylvia was jealous, and I don't blame her, cos not only her husband never cared for her (love-wise), he moreover ignored her poetic work to chase his young students. Proper womaniser! Sylvia was devastated. She was slowly losing her mind. (in fact, she was already mental before meeting Ted - he just pushed her a little bit more).

Every time Sylvia was angry, she was writing.
Every time Sylvia was emotional, she was writing.
Every time Sylvia was thinking of the bastard, she was writing.

Her first long poem was 'Lady Lazarus' that she wrote after her first suicidal attempt. More suicidal attempts followed, always unsuccessful, along with other poetic works (Colossus, Daddy, etc,) - [the links I'm providing are from Wikipedia. Never use them for scholar work]

As she believed, death was a way to rebirth.

Consequently, she ended up with a collection she called 'Ariel' (not the mermaid, it means Lion of God in Hebrew - I will not go into further analysis of her work)

Two weeks later she did it! She gave her children pints of milk (cos above all, she was a good mother) and then she locked in her house, and start inhaling gas from her cooker. They found her after a few days - dead.

So... Now I'm getting worried.

I'm emotional. Sometimes with an angry tone. Every time I feel something, I write! (not only here, I also write poetry and a book).

So really... what's next?

If this guy wont kill me of a heart attack,


will I do it my self?

:S

No comments: